Build your own greenhouse -Part 4

Build your own greenhouse -Part 4

What a busy weekend I had! But despite the drizzle and all round cold weather, I officially have a greenhouse! Granted, it doesn’t have a door (more of a flap at the moment) but the structure is there, and my god I love it already!

To find out how I started my project, check out build your own greenhouse part 1!

The first thing we did, was treat all the wood – it wasn’t the best conditions to do this in, but something is better then nothing! For an added bonus – it made all the wood pretty much the same colour. The stuff I used was some left over cheap stuff that my auntie bought over, so nothing special! but I am planning on the frame lasting me a fair while so we wanted to give a quick paint.

The next task was to go to our local DIY store – I chose Wickes for this (mainly due to them being competitive on price, and also how easy it is to get there and park compared to others in my area). I had previously bought the plastic sheet for the walls and the black anti-weed fabric from online, I talk about those here, so the only thing we really needed was the corrugated sheet for the roof, the appropriate screws and screw caps and also some raw plugs.

The trip cost me about £35, but I also bought a couple of things that we didn’t need for this.  I bought 2.4m sheets, The full length I needed was 2m, and due to needed to overlap to make the roof water tight we got 3 sheets, once home we measured and cut off the extra. The sheeting, although pretty tough it is really easy to crack (both when drilling/screwing in place, but also when sawing – so take it slow and gentle!

While we were off buying those bits, I had people at home working on attaching the plastic sheeting to the frame. I ordered 6x2m, and through some really good measuring they managed to get all 3 sides covered, with no spare!! The 4th wall will be the shed back wall, so that was pretty good measurements!


At this point, we were all pretty cold but rather than pushing it back another couple of weeks, we rallied together and after some tea and a bit of lunch we pushed on.

The plastic was attached to the frame using a staple gun. This is only meant to be a temporary covering, but I’m pretty happy with it at the moment.

We started with the wall that would be furthest. Next was the opposite wall and then the front (with the door). The design is as such that when and if I wanted to dismantle – for example to move, or repair – the panels are all easy to un-assemble. We drilled holes into the shed wall and using the correct raw plugs screwed directly to the wall.

The height was calculated, so allow any water coming off the shed roof, to then run down the greenhouse roof and (eventually) run into a water butt, this is one thing that changed from the initial plans, to allow the easiest and quickest route for the water.

I would like to say this was me sitting atop the structure, but it wasn’t – this is my auntie, balancing with one foot on a ladder. As mentioned before, we used all 3 panels that I bought, with them cut down to size (be careful not to crack the plastic if cutting)

The roof was pretty easy to do, first we attached 4 support beams, these weren’t this wood, as it wouldn’t be taking much weight, the one right at the top is actually just a scrap bit of timber we had left, it is drilled straight into the wall, like the two side panels and the corrugated panels are just sitting on top. We couldn’t screw them in, as the shed overhang didn’t allow access.

We had quite a good system going with this part of the construction. Using 3 drills to reduce speed.

By this point, we were all pretty tired, cold and achy but the final push meant we got the greenhouse water tight! Which I am really pleased about!

There are still a couple of jobs need to be done until I would call this project finished! The ground lining needs to be properly attached to the

bottom of the frame, with the plan to reduce weeds, and slugs/snails. Eventually I plan on introducing a bed either side which will allow me to plant tomatoes and peppers in the ground. I’ll also improve the standing section, which at the moment is pretty uneven, maybe add some stones to help reduce mess.

The other job on my to do list is to make a proper door for the greenhouse, at the moment I just have a flap, which works well enough, but isn’t ideal for the long run! Before adding the roof, we stapled a couple bits of garden string across the top of the door, which is acting as a way to tie the door up. Simple, but efficient!

All in all, we had a really good day! I’m really pleased its done, now I can start growing a lot more things from seed!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *