Well, I have to say my homemade gift ended up more homemade than I originally planned!
For those of you who read my blog, with remember that my original plan was to make homemade cream tea (you can read it here) – making the Jam and the scones but planning on buying clotted cream – thinking that it was a big old complicated process. Boy, was I wrong!!
The only things you need to make homemade clotted cream is:
- double cream (pasterurised, but not ultra pasterurised)
- A glass dish that is oven friendly – I used 900ml of double cream and it filled the dish by 1.5-2cm bare this in mind when selecting your dish
- an oven
- a fridge
- 24 hours! – not kidding, you need this much time!
The instructions are even easier then the list of ingredients.
- Preheat your oven to 80C. Pour your cream into the glass dish, making sure that the dish is deep enough to hold it, you want the cream to at least fill 1.5 cm of the dish, but I wouldn’t use one so small that the cream is more than an inch deep.
- Leave the cream in the oven for 12 hours! (I did this over night)
- Once the time is up, carefully remove for the oven. The cream will have a skin on it and might have a slight smell – but this is ok. Leave it to cool to room temperature. (This is when I made my scones)
- Once cooled, cover over with clingfilm and place in fridge. Leave for 12 hours
- Its done!
Once my cream was done, I portioned it off into some glass jars, ready to serve with the still warm scones and the selection of jams I made during the week! Could you imagine a better way to spend your sunday?
- I would love to hear back from anyone else who has made their food gifts, and what they made. Just leave a comment below.