This week I had some help from family again, and it has really made a big difference! My aunt has some good experience of DIY projects, and with her guidance I was able to make some important decisions about how I was going to construct the greenhouse.
The first decision I made, was how the frame would sit.
Because of the way I want the plastic-panes to eventually sit in the frame, a lot of the basic design was predetermined – but the biggest decision of the day was how the bottom would be fixed to the sides.
I had previously pre-cut the four bottom planks, but i hadn’t really thought about how the four corner posts would join to the bottom. If I didn’t want to re cut the planks the posts would sit against the inside corner, creating a sort of lip – which isn’t something I wanted. Instead, I would prefer having the wall of the greenhouse sitting flush, so we re measured how long I wanted the overall greenhouse to be, and then re-cut the bottom planks accordingly. Where I’m using reclaimed wood, not all of the posts are the same width, so the length of the bottom planks would need to adjusted individually to allow the overall length to match.
This then helped with the decision of how we were going to fix them all together – again, due to the fact I am using reclaimed wood, the thickness made it hard to use screws, so we decided to use brackets. (brackets look like sheets of metal, that are used with nails, when you hammer the nail in, it causes the metal to ‘bite’ into the wood, and therefore holds it together tightly – the more nails you use, the stronger the join).
It was also at this point that we worked out what wood could actually be used for the main structure, and what supplies I would have to go and purchase. We were able to use reclaimed wood for thebottom and the four main posts, but I didn’t have long enough timber to use for the inner posts or the roof, so when visiting the local DIY store I picked up 10 x stick timber which was on offer for £2.57 each. I also took the opportunity to check out pricing for plastic sheeting (my first years plan to help spread the over all cost) and the congregated plastic for the roof.
Once we had all the supplies we needed, it was time to start building.
We used one 3in screw in each join, just to keep it held together tightly, then used the brackets to secure them all. Once the greenhouse is fully constructed, I will go along and tidy up the joins, cutting and bending any overhanging brackets.
While sorting all of the above, it also became clear that one of my pre-laid slabs needed moving – something I was not looking forward to! But with four of us working on the project it didn’t take too long. Two of us started building one of the walls while the other two moved the slab.
All in all, we only actually spent a couple of hours building so only managed to cut and construct one wall, however the planning is just as important as the building and now there are clear plans set in place I know we will make good progress from here on out.
In other Garden news:
I planted a raspberry plant today, and sowed some parsnip, onion and tomato seeds this morning and plan to have them out in the tunnel and trough. With the weather forecasting snow next week I’m hoping the tunnel will protect them from the worst of it. so fingers crossed!
Now that spring is just around the corner I am looking forward to the slightly warmer days and sowing my own veg from seed. Last year I stuck to buying starters which worked really well – but in the long run it would be nice to grow from seed!
I would love to hear from anyone thinking of buying a greenhouse, or just starting out on their homegrown adventure! Please, feel free to get in touch!